Frequently Asked Questions

  • There are a number of qualifying life events that would make you eligible to buy ACA health insurance outside of Open Enrollment. Some events that trigger a special enrollment opportunity include:

    • Loss of eligibility for other coverage (such as losing your job or losing student health coverage when you graduate)
    • Gaining a dependent (such as getting married, giving birth, or adopting a child)
    • Divorce or legal separation
    • Moving to another state or within a state if you move outside of your current health plan’s area of coverage.
    • COBRA coverage ending
    • Losing eligibility for Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program
    • Change in immigration status

    There may be other events which would qualify you for special enrollment eligibility (SEP), and ACA-alternative plans may not require an SEP. Click here to find out if you’re eligible.